05 March 2009

Habitat for Humanity

Charity = money. That's what most people think, don't they?? Who says charity is all about money?? Charity can be in the form of time investment, one who is willing to invest sweat, talents & skills into the well-being of another.

When I learned that Habitat for Humanity [HfH] is helping to build houses from Charlene, I quickly showed strong interest and anticipation. I applied lift today to pitch in and help. We're helping to build a house for the Muslims in Kampung Bako near the Bako National Park.



We did painting today. And I'm proud to say, with 6 helping hands, we managed to paint 60+ hard board woods!!

Charlene and Dorothy warned me about the mosquitoes and Michele told me about those yellow annoying insects thingy. Thank God I didn't get bitten. Instead, I end up having my toe nails and legs painted, well, literally. Luckily I didn't wear my Crocs or long pants. Otherwise...white paints all over!


Kampung Bako

Ladies at work


This is when team work comes in
Groupie

Me with the cute looking kids
Char says this boy is cute and he'll be a handsome guy in the future. I say, he looks like Char and he's naughty. lol.

The gurls

Kim Chiew. Me. Michele. Dorothy. Siew Ling.

My first time building a house. I didn't expect it to be difficult or anything, but it turned out to be a very tiring and tedious work. Don't get me wrong, it was interesting and lotsa fun, just tiring thats it. Oh ya, did i mention?? It was my first time having a sampan ride TODAY. Easy breezy river wind. Hhmm, i realise it's good exercise and a very effective way to burn fats, and also a productive way of spending time with friends.

Through HfH, I get to contribute to the community. I don't mind second round if my personal schedule permits! If you have a weekend to spare, come and join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment